The Importance of Slip Rings in Motion Control Packaging Applications
In motion control packaging applications, slip rings play a vital, if somewhat underappreciated, role. Part of nearly every packaging process, they are crucial to overall performance.
What Do Slip Rings Do In Motion Control?
Slip rings were introduced to motion control nearly 30 years ago. They enable the transmission of power and electrical signals from a stationary device to a rotating device.
Slip rings typically consist of a stationary graphite or metal brush that rubs against a rotating metal ring. An electric signal or current is conducted through the brush and rotating ring to make a connection.
Benefits of Slip Rings in Motion Control
Slip rings are very versatile and used in many applications. Unlike cables, which can get twisted and only allow for a few rotations before becoming ineffective, slip rings allow for unlimited rotations. This capability alone makes them invaluable and versatile in motion control applications. Applications include: carton board lamination; heat-sealing in the food industry; product processing in tobacco; and more.
Limitations of Slip Rings in Motion Control
The main challenge with slip rings is the fact that they are often subjected to high amounts of vibration and shock. Operating in such harsh environments leads to rapid deterioration. As a result, the frequent maintenance and replacement of slip rings can cause a fair amount of downtime and lost productivity.
To learn more about slip rings or other products available click here to browse products on Motion Control Online.
- Insights into Robotics & Automation Investment Trends Emerging in 2024
- Hyperspectral and Multispectral Remote Sensing in Industrial Automation
- Powering Precision: Smart Linear Motors in Industrial Automation
- Five Ways Automation Helps Manufacturers Hit Their Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Goals
- The Rise of Collaborative Robots: Transforming Industrial Automation
- The Future is Now: AI and Factory Automation in 2024 and Beyond
- View All