A3 Motor & Motion College
Overview of Various Electric Motors and Motion Control Technologies
About the course
This course will provide fundamental concepts of electric motors and their electronic control methods. An overview, this course is intended for non-technical professionals such as sales and marketing, middle and upper management, and application engineers who want to learn fundamental principles and basic knowledge. It covers electromagnetic torque production theory, construction and operation of all motor types, their relative differences, as well as electronic hardware topologies, field oriented and sensorless control algorithm, and servo system theory in clear and concise explanation without using lengthy equations.
About the Instructor
Dr. Dal Y. Ohm is the president of Drivetech, Inc., a technical consulting firm specializing in design and development of motor control, drives and renewable energy converter systems. He has more than 25 years of industrial and academic experience in research and product development in motor drives, servo systems, and power converters. His major areas of interest include motion control, digital control and robotics, Field Oriented and sensorless control, AC and DC motor drives and power electronics. He has more than 50 published articles and conference presentations in the above areas.
Prior to consulting, he was Technical Director at Kollmorgen Motion Technologies Group. He was also with Baldor Electric Company and Electrocraft Inc. He taught engineering courses (Electric Machines, Robotics, Digital Control) at San Jose State University, NPU, and Cogswell Polytechnical College as Adjunct Professor for many years. Dr. Ohm received PhD and MS degrees in Electrical Engineering from Texas A&M University. He is a member of IEEE, SAE and A3.
All courses include take-home reference materials!
Train a group of your employees for less than it would cost to send them out for training and do so following your own optimum schedule.
Interested in In-House Training?
Let us know about the training you are interested in and we'll prepare your proposal!Request a Proposal
- Solenoids and DC/AC Motors
- Torque and back emf
- Steady-state speed control
- Field winding and flux weakening
- Various other motor types
- Control Brushless PM Motors
- SCR and PWM Controls
- Brushless electronic commutation
- Speed control and sensorless operation
- Power Electronics and Motor Drives
- Power electronics devices
- Switch configuration and PWM
- Gate drive design
- Sinusoidal Drives for AC Motors
- Phase current vs synchronous current control
- Frame transformation and synchronous d-q frame model of motors
- Angle advance control of brushless motors
- Field oriented control of induction motors
- Servo Systems Fundamentals
- PID and other velocity and position control algorithms
- Mechanical resonance modeling and digital filtering technique
- Motion profiles and system sizing (selection of motors and drives)
- UC firmware for motor drives
- New Technologies in Motor Control
- Space vector modulation
- Sensorless control
- Modeling and simulation
- Advanced control techniques
Let Us Customize a Program for You!
Choose the topics you want covered and the number of days of training you desire and A3 can customize a program for you! Provide these basic details and we'll provide a proposal.
Questions? Contact Dana Whalls or call 734-994-6088.