ABB Introduces “Robotic Educational Package” for Schools to Affordably Buy Complete Robot System for Hands-on Training
Package includes the IRB 120, ABB’s smallest ever robot; the IRC5 Compact Controller; and 50 licenses for RobotStudio simulation software
ABB Robotics has developed a “robotic educational package” allowing schools, colleges and universities to purchase a complete robot package at an affordable cost for hands-on teaching of programming and operational concepts in the classroom and lab. Utilizing the same technology used in a wide range of industrial applications, ABB’s educational package will give students the opportunity to learn the skills needed to effectively manage modern robotic manufacturing systems. The package includes the IRB 120, ABB’s smallest ever robot; the IRC5 Compact Controller; and 50 licenses for RobotStudio, ABB’s simulation and offline programming software. An additional software bundle is also available as an option.
“With robots playing a vital role in improving the efficiency and competitiveness of manufacturers in an expanding variety of industries, schools need an affordable means to teach modern manufacturing concepts and encourage more students to pursue engineering and manufacturing careers,” said Joe Campbell, vice president of the ABB Robot Products Group in the US.
Occupying a surprisingly small amount of space ideal for placement in classrooms, the robot, controller and software provide students training and real-life experience on:
- How industrial robots operate
- The design and control principles of industrial robots
- The design and control principles of robotic work cells
- Programming ABB robots using RobotStudio
- Robotic cell hazards, health and safety and maintenance requirements
- Application specific functions such as robotic welding and plasma cutting; picking, packing and palletizing; machine tending, materials handling and product assembly; and advanced vision-related programming.
Campbell added, “ABB has helped establish robotic training programs at several leading technical schools. Our goal with the new educational package is to extend our reach to schools of all sizes and budgets, continuing to help equip the engineers of tomorrow on the grass roots level with the skills needed to succeed in the automated manufacturing marketplace.”
More detail on the components of the robotic educational package:
- The IRB120 robot features a light, aluminum structure. Weighing just 25kg, it is easily portable and ideal where space is at a premium in classrooms or practical work areas.
- The IRC5 Compact controller transforms offline programming into online performance. Featuring sophisticated motion control technology, the controller ensures that the routines programmed into RobotStudio are mirrored on the production line.
- ABB’s simulation and offline programming software, RobotStudio, enables students to prepare realistic simulations of real-life robotic applications. The package includes 50 user licenses, enabling 50 simultaneous users at any one time.
- ABB also provides a number of interactive ways for budding robot programmers to share and learn. With the RobotStudio community students can explore the latest discussions, post ideas, share and download simulations and learn about the latest product updates.
- Exclusive software bundle (optional): 13 additional software functions are available in a cost-effective bundle, including SoftMove, Multitasking and Collision Detection.
In recent years ABB has been instrumental in establishing and equipping robotic training centers at a number of leading technical schools such as Vincennes University, Vincennes, IN; Fox Valley Technical College, Oshkosh, WI; and the Alabama Robotics Technology Park, Tanner, AL.
For more information on ABB’s robotic educational package please call 248-391-8400.
ABB is a leader in power and automation technologies that enable utility and industry customers to improve their performance while lowering environmental impact. The ABB Group of companies operates in around 100 countries and employs about 124,000 people.
About ABB Robotics
ABB Robotics is a leading supplier of industrial robots - also providing robot software, peripheral equipment, modular manufacturing cells and service for tasks such as welding, handling, assembly, painting and finishing, picking, packing, palletizing and machine tending. Key markets include automotive, plastics, metal fabrication, foundry, electronics, machine tools, pharmaceutical and food and beverage industries. A strong solutions focus helps manufacturers improve productivity, product quality and worker safety. ABB has installed more than 190,000 robots worldwide.