Posted on 09/29/2021
BEHCO is looking for an energetic and motivated Applications Engineer to support product and engineered system sales in southeastern Michigan.
As an Applications Engineer, you will collaborate with customers and the BEHCO sales team during the sales process to identify, engineer, and advocate our best-in-class application solutions and products. This entails accurately capturing customer application data to ensure pointed design solutions that meet their application requirements. Additionally, you will ensure industry trends are reported back internally to drive sales and product development. Post sales, you will ensure BEHCO’s solutions execute at or beyond expectations turning customers to long term partners.
In the Applications Lab you will have access to BEHCO’s product offering and engineering capabilities. The facilities and tools of the Applications Lab will be at your disposal for recreating and testing issues reported in the field, and special products. You will also use the lab to test and create demos to find solutions to current and future market needs. In the Training Center you will host customer training and online virtual demos.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Work closely with Product Management to provide application solutions, proof of concept, and product demos for application solutions.
- Update software and hardware for customer demos, including robotic manipulators, precision positioning systems, hydraulic and pneumatic control systems, PLC’s and automation.
- Provide detailed analysis reports on design reviews, control system models, debugging, reliability cycling, system integration and formal testing.
- Research, analyze, and plan the control system design for products in accordance with product requirements and customer specifications.
- Hands-on, data driven problem solving – commonly working directly with motion hardware to move development efforts forward.
- Assist with hardware prototype builds and troubleshooting as needed.
- Document, implement, and test applicable design requirements for production. This includes supporting transfer of relevant design output documents, recommended assembly and test instructions, and service troubleshooting support.
- Collaborate closely with our customer’s Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering throughout the customer product development lifecycle.
- Provide subject matter expert input and guidance for field service escalations into engineering.
- Support the Applications Manager in establishing or updating project and departmental deliverables.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- BS in Engineering, Mechatronics, Physics or other related field and experience.
- Knowledge/applied use with machine and robot safety standards, risk assessments, safe stopping calculations.
- Knowledge and demonstrated use of Actuators, Motors, Sensors.
- Electrical Design and Auto CAD experience.
- Working knowledge of AC and DC power distribution, servo amplifiers, and motors.
- Experience with electro-mechanical systems or automation equipment.
- Understanding of motion control concepts (closed loop servo control systems, frequency response, current mode motor control of brushless motors).
- Knowledge of applied DC Stepper, Servo, & Linear Motors, Photonics, Lasers, Robotics and Vision/Imaging Ladder Logic, LabVIEW, MATLAB, Python, VB, C, C++.
- Experience with the following is a plus but not necessary:
- PLC Hardware/Software
- Motion Control Hardware / Software
- Ability to size motion applications
- Programmable motion controllers (Kollmorgen, Yaskawa)
Minimum Education & Experience
- Teamwork: Building cooperation among individuals and departments, sharing information and resources, and working to achieve group goals and outcomes.
- Communication: Listening effectively, transmitting information accurately and understandably, and actively seeking feedback.
- Customer Focus: Understanding and meeting the needs of customers and addressing the interests and concerns of all organization stakeholders.
- Professionalism: Dealing directly and forthrightly with people and problems, persisting to get the job done.