Optical Measurement Engineer
Posted on 06/21/2021
Based in Corning, NY but travel is required.
Corning Incorporated is looking for highly motivated systems engineers to design, build and install measurement systems in manufacturing. This role requires individuals who are skilled in software development, optics, mechanical design and a thirst for fundamental understanding. If this sounds like you, keep reading…
Scope of Position:
Develop, assemble and test optics-based measurement systems in support of the development and manufacturing of Corning products. Manage the transfer of technology from the lab to the manufacturing line.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Work with a variety of cross functional groups (Development, Quality, IT, Purchasing, Operations) to define, develop and implement optics-based measurement and instrumentation systems.
- Transfer technology from early-stage development to a product suitable for robust use in manufacturing.
- Leverage external suppliers for key technologies or core competencies such as system integration.
- Define Scopes of Work, competitively quote when appropriate, issue Purchase Orders, track supplier work and approve invoices.
- Design experiments and analyze data to identify and implement improvements to measurement systems or production processes.
- Create/update documentation for release to production including Machine Specifications; operating procedures and drawing packages.
- Train engineering, maintenance and operations people how to use and maintain measurement systems.
- Provide remote and onsite troubleshooting using data and performance analysis of the installed systems.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- Machine Vision system development (optics, lighting, cameras, image acquisition, image analysis)
- Fundamental knowledge of physical optics (principles of optics, ray tracing)
- Knowledge of image processing algorithms (blob analysis, edge finding, morphology, feature extraction, classification, metrology)
- Microsoft Visual Studio programming (Visual Basic.NET or C#)
- Systems Engineering and integration
- Experience with electrical/optical/mechanical installations, including system checkout and troubleshooting
- Strong communication and presentation skills (MS Office programs)
- Data retrieval, plotting and analysis (primarily using Microsoft Excel)
- Experience with image processing development packages such as Halcon, Matrox Inspector, NI Vision, OpenCV or Matlab image processing toolbox
- Control systems (PLCs)
- Process engineering knowledge. Experienced with design of experiments, statistical analysis and process improvement
- Experience with Metrology, Inspection and Product Quality in support of production organizations
- Motion Control – ability to integrate motion on imaging platforms
- Computing – Familiar with high performance computing systems
- Interpersonal skills - able to interact effectively with customers & coworkers
- Effective communication
- Customer focused
- Able to work independently
- Results oriented
- Quick learner
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work with others for whom English is not their primary language
Minimum Education & Experience
Prefer MS or PhD in Optics, EE, CSE, ME or Physics
Training or hands-on experience with vision systems is major plusBack to All Careers