Machine Vision Specialist
Posted on 06/21/2021
Based in Corning, NY but includes travel.
Corning Incorporated is looking for highly motivated computer vision engineers to define, develop and deploy computer vision, machine learning and deep learning algorithms for measurement systems in manufacturing. This role requires individuals who are skilled in software, algorithm development and computer vision systems, and have a thirst for fundamental understanding. If this sounds like you, keep reading…
Scope of Position:
Developing and implementing computer vision, machine learning and deep learning algorithms in support of the development and manufacturing of Corning products. Manage the transfer of technology from the lab to the manufacturing line.
- Trips of one-day to several-weeks duration are typical.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with a variety of cross functional groups (Measurement, Control, Development, Quality, IT, Purchasing, Operations) to define, develop and implement computer vision, machine learning and deep learning algorithms on vision-based measurement and instrumentation systems.
- Develop state-of-the-art algorithms in one or all of the following areas: defect detection/classification, deep learning (convolutional neural networks), and 3D point cloud processing.
- Train machine learning and deep learning models on a computing cluster to perform object detection/classification tasks, such as segmentation and detection for production defects. Optimize deep neural networks and the associated preprocessing/postprocessing algorithm to run efficiently on a measurement system with Microsoft Visual Studio environment.
- Transfer technology from early-stage development to a product suitable for robust use in manufacturing.
- Leverage external suppliers for key technologies or core competencies. Define Scopes of Work, competitively quote when appropriate, issue Purchase Orders, track supplier work and approve invoices.
- Design experiments and analyze data to identify and implement improvements to measurement systems or production processes.
- Create/update documentation for release to production including software release notes, specifications and operating procedures.
- Train engineering, maintenance and operations people how to use and maintain software and algorithms associated with vision systems.
- Provide remote and onsite troubleshooting using data and performance analysis of the installed systems.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of computer vision algorithms (frequency domain analysis, blob analysis, edge finding, morphology, feature extraction, classification, metrology).
- Knowledge of camera calibration (pinhole camera model, stereo vision, perspective project and orthographic projection, rigid body rotation and translation, etc).
- Experience with Python CV/ML packages; OpenCV, Sklearn, Numpy, and at least one deep learning package (Tensorflow/PyTorch/Keras/Mxnet, etc).
- Knowledge with established deep learning network structures and applications (AlexNet, ResNet, VGG, Inception, YOLO, UNet, RCNN, etc).
- Knowledge of Machine Vision systems (optics, lighting, cameras, image acquisition, image analysis)
- Familiarity with Python CV/ML environment and Microsoft Visual Studio environment (C#).
- Comfortable reading research papers and exploring new technologies in this field.
- Strong communication and presentation skills (MS Office programs)
- Data retrieval, plotting and analysis
- Experience with image processing development packages such as Halcon or OpenCV
- Process engineering knowledge. Experienced with design of experiments, statistical analysis and process improvement
- Experience with Metrology, Inspection and Product Quality in support of production organizations
- Cloud Data Computing – Familiar with Cloud Data Computing Platform
- Interpersonal skills - able to interact effectively with customers & coworkers
- Effective communication
- Customer focused
- Able to work independently
- Results oriented
- Quick learner
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work with others for whom English is not their primary language
Minimum Education & Experience
MS or PhD in EE, CSE, ME, Math or Physics.
Practical Experience is a big plus.Back to All Careers