Senior Mechanical Engineer
Posted on 07/21/2021
Responsible to lead in the design implementation and assembly of custom equipment for various industrial applications. Projects vary from complex automation machines to simple cost-effective machine improvements and upgrades. Candidate will have experience with high speed mechanisms, pneumatics, indexing machines and automated assembly equipment. Will work closely with customers to ensure their requirements and timeline are met.
- Lead engineer of custom automated equipment with responsibility for concept, design, fabrication, installation & successful implementation into full production.
- Select proper electromechanical components & analyze structures.
- Coordinate mechanical drawing & BOM creation & verify accuracy with respect to manufacturability and DDS standards.
- Work with vendors to solve fabrication issues, stay within budget constraints and mitigate scheduling conflicts.
- Manage multiple projects; develop schedules and budgets.
- Estimate equipment cost.
- Evaluate the complexity of new designs and recommend changes that will help reduce or eliminate manufacturing time and cost
- Perform traditional analysis in mechanics of materials, dynamics, stress, etc.
- Monitor and report progress toward engineering deliverables to the engineering manager. Define and execute a recovery plan if deliverables are not completed on schedule.
- Review and update labor estimates to complete each assigned job. Notify engineering manager when under or over capacity utilization situations are projected.
- Give technical direction to technicians as needed.
- Consult regularly with project managers to report status, raise issues, take direction, and help where needed.
- Participate in regular project status updates with customers.
- Present designs during internal and customer project reviews.
- Work with project managers, customers, designers, and toolmakers to solve problems to provide the customer with a complete functional system.
- Provide accurate documentation for each project.
- Inform and advise customer on solving technical problems.
- Provide customer with training specific to their current project: machine operation, programming principles, and program structure.
- Review design concepts and labor and material budget estimates supplied by applications engineers.
- Assist in formulating departmental strategic plan.
- Mentor, tutor & instruct draftspersons and designers on various projects
- Perform as a contributing member in working with other project team members to continuously improve methods of integrating design technology
- Analyze engineering drawings, and specifications to determine shape, dimensions, hardness, etc. in the development of equipment, processes and products
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- BS Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of relevant experience designing automated equipment and machinery.
- Experience in designing & sizing servo motors, linear and rotary precision bearing systems, pneumatics, etc.
- Experience in design & analysis of welded structures.
- 3D CAD solid modeling experience, preferably with SolidWorks.
- Knowledge of machine designs and common machine components including but not limited to drive systems, bearings, lubrication systems, actuation systems and other common machine elements.
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) preferred.
- Fabrication knowledge including machining, sheet metal welding and assembly of machine elements.
- Successful experience troubleshooting complex equipment during project startup phases.
- Experience with high speed mechanisms, indexing machines and automated assembly equipment.