Posted on 04/18/2023
Memphis, TN Rochester, NY
Adaptec Solutions is a top-ten, North American integration partner engineering diverse material handling and automation solutions with lifecycle service support for manufacturing, distribution, and warehousing companies.
The Controls Engineer will design, develop, and implement electrical control systems and components. This position requires technical and analytical skills and a strong understanding of engineering principles, processes, and safety regulations.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Author/Edit PLC, robot, and other controls programming for standard products and custom equipment to meet desired results.
- Analyze and interpret electrical schematics, blueprints, and drawings.
- Work closely with project manager and customer from quote preparation to project runoff.
- Collaborate with multi-disciplined teams to develop a completely integrated solution.
- Participate in design approval and risk assessments.
- Develop application processes to deliver desired results.
- Participate in installation and start-up activities.
- Perform engineering analyses and calculations to size system components and equipment in adherence to client specifications and applicable industry standards.
- Assist in preparing customer documentation, including operations and maintenance manuals.
- Document the sequence of operation for designed systems, as required.
- Recommend new technologies for solving technical challenges.
- Stay current with emerging technologies relating to automated systems.
- Continue developing a broad base of engineering skills to support overall organizational growth.
- Travel to customer and supplier locations as necessary.
- Support Controls Technician with programming, process, and troubleshooting needs.
- Provide customer training both at Adaptec Solutions and on-site at customer facilities.
- Adhere to company standards and processes.
- Research and evaluate new technologies and components.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. Degree in engineering/engineering technologies or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a Controls Engineer
- Experience designing and building control systems (PLC, HMI, VFDs, Panel design, Electrical schematics, electrical equipment layouts, Hardware specs, Peripheral communications, and Network topography) from concept to completion.
SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Proficiency with the following design tools/elements:
- Rockwell Automation software, including but not limited to Studio 5000, RS Logix 5000, and FactoryTalk View Studio ME.
- Industrial communications, including but not limited to Ethernet/IP, PROFINET, IO-Link, or Serial.
- Microsoft Office product suite.
- Autodesk AutoCAD.
- Programming Other – Not required, but value-added skills:
- Experience with Fanuc Handling Tool, Fanuc ROBOGUIDE
- Other PLC experience, including Siemens, Omron, GE, Automation Direct, etc.
- Experience in using SCADA/HMI software such as FactoryTalk View SE, Wonderware, or Ignition
- AutoCAD Electrical
- Structured Programming Languages (C++, Java, .Net, etc.)
- Familiarity in the following areas:
- Material Handling
- Bag Palletizing
- Forging Processes
- Knowledge of engineering principles and practices, complex mathematical and engineering formulas, and material testing practices.
- Knowledge and understanding of UL, NEC, NFPA 70E, and OSHA standards.
- Basic understanding of pneumatic control systems.
- Energetic “can do” attitude.
- Hands-on approach to creative problem-solving within time, budget, and material constraints.
- Ability to read electrical and pneumatic schematics.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Comfortable working independently and as a team.
- Possesses the ability to set and manage multiple priorities and to set/meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and data files.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be comfortable with occasional travel.
As a member of the Adaptec Solutions team you will be eligible to participate in our flexible benefits program which include generous paid time off (PTO), 11 paid company holidays including your birthday, health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) plan with company matching, short-term/long term disability coverage and basic life/AD&D insurance.
Adaptec Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.Back to All Careers