(10-01337) RESEARCH COMPUTER SCIENTIST - RESEARCH ENGINEER - MANUFACTURING ROBOTICS
Posted on 04/25/2022
San Antonio, Texas or Austin, Texas
Who We Are:
The Intelligent Systems Division develops automated solutions for commercial and government clients in multiple domains including transportation (traffic management, connected automated vehicle), manufacturing robotics, medical prognostics and communication standards.
Objectives of this Role:
- Join the Manufacturing and Robotics Technology Department to develop advanced capabilities, technologies, and solutions in the field of industrial robotics and automation that solve real-world challenges faced by our customers.
- Support software development, advanced controls, algorithm development and implementation, and hardware integration on industrial robots, co-bots, and automation control hardware.
- Mentor and support junior staff to encourage technical excellence.
- This software centric role includes use of ROS/ROS-Industrial to create unique solutions that can be applied to a variety of applications; includes spec/programming and use of micro-controllers and/or RTOS platforms to realize functionality.
- Recommend approaches and lead proposal efforts in the areas where off the shelf solutions do not exist.
- Provide input into technical program areas. Work primarily at SwRI facilities/laboratories; meetings as well as deployment efforts may occur at commercial or government client sites.
- Research Engineer roles are for those with a few years of experience. See our other openings (Sr. Research, Lead, Principal) for opportunities for those with more experience or engineer/scientists for less.
- Visit https://robotics.swri.org to learn about some of the work we do!
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities:
- Conceive, develop, and deploy robotic and automation software solutions for advanced manufacturing applications and perception-driven solutions.
- Design, build, debug, and implement robotic and automation solutions.
- Spec, develop pipelines, and implement on hardware perception and perception enabled solutions for high mix environments.
- Develop and test advanced software solutions for manufacturing and industrial processes and technologies.
- Assist in preparing proposals and cost estimates.
- Meet with customers to promote new business and develop technical requirements.
- Guide work in areas such as object detection, pose estimation, motion planning, grasping, machine vision, mechatronics, system integration, and testing.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- Development work using C, C++ or python
- Machine vision and sensor calibration experience and use of sensing and perception to drive intelligent robot motions
- Experience with a variety software development processes (Agile and Waterfall); Software/hardware integration & documentation; experience with development of device drivers and hardware interfaces, or desire to learn
- Clear Valid Drivers License
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
Job Locations: San Antonio, Texas Or Austin, Texas
For more information about this division, visit the Intelligent Systems home page.
Minimum Education & Experience
- Must have a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Robotics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, or Computer Science or similar
- (PhD requires 0 years, MS requires 1, and BS requires 2)
- 2 years of Development of electromechanical and robotic systems from concept to deployment (full spectrum of robotic solution development).
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT, INDIVIDUALS MUST SUBMIT AN ONLINE APPLICATION.
PLEASE USE THIS LINK BELOW TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disabled/Veteran
Committed to Diversity in the Workplace