Lead Automation Engineer
Posted on 10/18/2021
This role will join a new team that is being commissioned to provide innovative automation solutions for Tyson Foods Poultry Business. The role will consist of working with process SME’s and then leading the development and validation of robotic and computer vision solutions that will that improve team member safety, optimize labor and yield, ensure food safety, and provide a framework for sustainable profitability at Tyson Poultry Plants. This is a role focused on the use of industrial robots, computer vision and sensing technologies, predictive analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence. This role / team will work on innovative manufacturing solutions from development of proof of concept to implementation of these solutions into production facilities. It will require a strong partnership with the Information Technology team, existing engineering groups, production plant leadership and executive leadership.
The Poultry Innovation team is a start-up team at Tyson Foods that is responsible for identifying and developing the automation and process optimization opportunities for the Tyson Poultry Business Unit. Working with process experts, you will develop and validate innovative solutions and technologies that improve team member safety, optimize labor and yield, ensure food safety, and provide a framework for sustainable profitability.
The Lead Automation engineer will play a crucial role in leading their team to provide innovative, scalable solutions that solve problems. This position will lead a team of process SMEs and Automation Engineers who will partner with Tyson’s engineering, operations, and IT teams to develop and validate manufacturing solutions for our Poultry operations.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work within the standard approach for developing and validating automation solutions for Tyson’s Poultry BU
- Define and manage standards tools and processes for documenting and financially modeling automation opportunities
- Work with process experts to develop and apply automation solutions that lead to improvements in safety, sustainability, quality, and profitability.
- Build strong and mutually rewarding partnerships with our engineering, business ops, and IT teams
- Lead your team by clearly defining a vision, setting expectations and responsibilities, providing effective performance coaching, and inspiring your team members to grow and meet their full potential in their current roles and careers.
- Provide technical leadership developing innovative solutions
Minimum Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Science and/or Masters degree Mechanical/Electrical/Robotic Engineering
- 6 to 10 years of direct related experience in manufacturing and production environments with an emphasis on process automation
- An organized and process-minded approach to solving problems
- 2 to 4 years experience working/leading teams and managing performance
- Hands-on experience where you have developed validated and implemented automation systems into a manufacturing plant
- Significant experience with Robot and/or PLC programming and control architecture design (Fanuc, Rockwell, E-net preferred)
- Excellent skills in standard computer software including spreadsheet, presentation, and project management tool software
- Excellent communication skills to clearly “tell the story” and tailor your messaging to partners, leadership, and stakeholders including executive levels of leadership
- Proven ability to mentor team members to grow in their own career and impact
- Understanding of interdependencies between technology, operations, and engineering
- Understanding and knowledge of food production processes and solutions is desired
- Deep knowledge and experience in industrial robotics, computer vision, automation and artificial intelligence and their application in a production environment
- Advanced problem-solving skills with the ability to operate within complex situations, break them down, and work with others to define the path forward
Back to All Careers