Electrical Engineer Manager
Bison Gear & Engineering Corp.
Posted on 03/14/2023
St. Charles, IL 60174
Why Join Bison Gear & Engineering?
It’s an exciting time to work for Bison Gear and Engineering! We believe that personal, professional and company growth all go hand in hand. So we develop, challenge and incentivize our people to deliver the very best for our loyal customers. We’re a team made up of problem solvers, risk-takers, thinkers and doers.
At Bison we give you the opportunity to develop your career based on your strengths and potential. Bison is a career destination for engaged, passionate and talented people who are driven to seek the innovation, growth and opportunity that we offer.
Bison Gear and Engineering began in 1960 by designing problem-solving gearboxes and gear motors for their customers. Today, the company has grown into an industry leader for fractional horsepower electric motor, integral gearmotor and gear reducer products by implementing innovative lean manufacturing processes, world class engineering and customer support teams driven by their Robusticity® design philosophy; allowing Bison to consistently expand its product line with new motion control and power transmission solutions.
Plan, coordinate and direct all activities associated with the Electrical Engineering Department. This includes motor design and testing as well as oversight of the Electrical Lab.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and manage a team with the necessary knowledge and skillset to bring new electric motor designs from inception to production
- Direct and supervise the activities of the Electrical Engineering Department. Serve as the primary approval authority for Electrical Engineering documentation as well as internal and external Electrical Engineering issues.
- Oversee and steer motor design, performance and manufacturability improvement projects for new and existing electric motor designs or concepts
- Develop techniques to continuously improve quality, lead time, and productivity
- Direct Life Tests on Bison products as requested or where necessary and reports test results
- Manage project/ program schedules and regularly reports progress
- Responsible for the E-Lab, lab technician(s), and the scheduling of work through the lab; ensure that the equipment is appropriate, available, and calibrated as required
- Generate and operate within annually prepared budgets for assigned accounts, projects and programs
- Responsible for the generation and maintenance of all files, operating procedures, calculation techniques, computer programs and indexes related to the effective performance of the job
- Stays abreast of "state-of-the-art" technological advancements, new processing techniques, and new materials; and regularly reports findings
- Direct competitive analysis testing of products from other manufacturers and generate appropriate competitive analysis reports
- Recommends product improvements, cost reductions and production methods to enhance Bison products, their life expectancy and quality
- Contribute to Product Roadmap discussions, planning and execution
- Provide engineering assistance and training to other members of the engineering staff
- Performs other duties and functions as may be directed by supervisor
- RGA Analysis – Examines or directs the technical examination of units returned to Bison requiring Electrical Engineering reports. Prepares or directs the preparation of RGA reports.
- Plans, promotes, and organizes training activities related to product quality and reliability.
- Assists with analysis of manufacturing problems and recommends solutions to keep processes under control.
- Regular and reliable level of attendance.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Responsible for managing all aspects of electric motor design and development. Must carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the company’s organization chart, its policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college, university or academy, or sufficient applicable experience
- AC, DC, BLDC and/ or PMAC motor design/ development experience
- Five (5) years related management experience
- MBA not required, but a plus
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from top management, groups of managers, clients, customers, and general public when necessary.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration: None
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The associate will normally be located in the office, the labs, or on the shop floor; the noise level in the work environment is normal office or shop noise level.
Our first responsibility is to completely satisfy the needs of the people and organizations that use and distribute our products, while providing best value solutions for their power transmission requirements
People Relentless In Delivering Excellence
"Each time a customer interacts with Bison we want them to be completely satisfied. To achieve this goal, each employee is empowered, enabled, and encouraged to provide defect-free, highest-value products and services."Back to All Careers