Posted on 06/10/2021
Under supervision of the VP Sales & Marketing, the Sales Engineer promotes the sale of manufacturing equipment, software, general consulting, supplies, or services, which require professional engineering knowledge sufficient to make judgements involving complex engineering and economic principals, and calculations to persuade potential buyers to purchase the product or services. The Sales Engineer activities include the fundamentals of design and planning to build innovative manufacturing systems, including robotics, automated welding, testing, material handling, and assembly solutions. The results of these efforts promote the growth of the organization, its individuals, and the profitability of the company.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Works to develop new customers and expand the current customer base
- Works with customers to define a solution for the project that they have proposed
- Works with an Application Engineer and other internal support, or on his/her own, to create the estimates and quote document for the customer
- Conducts research on the design and development of engineering projects utilizing the latest trends and technologies
- Acts as the primary interface with the customer for the contract during the life of a project including review progress and changes in contracts with the project manager
- Assists with marketing efforts to promote future sales
- Operates with substantial latitude for unreviewed action or decision
- Sales Engineers are typically expected to sell $5-$10M annually.
- 50% of your time is spent traveling to accommodate customer needs and the other 50% of your time is split between finding creative approaches for identified customer needs, growing current customer relationships, and fostering new customer relationships
- Recommends changes in design or equipment where necessary
- Assist the project manager identifying project resource requirements, critical paths, and deadlines
- Assist the project and lead engineers in ensuring that the project meets the customer’s technical and functional specifications, and that the project is delivered on time, within budget, and at the projected margin
- Assists the project manager in initiating project planning and execution with the project team by providing the information they need to successfully execute the project
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the President or Vice President of Sales
- Comply with all quality and safety regulations.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
Minimum Education & Experience
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree (AA) or seven years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Mechanical Engineering degree is preferred.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in technical sales, industrial automation preferred.
- Experience with project, engineering, or service management preferred.