Field Application Engineer, Emeryville, CA
Posted on 10/12/2021
As a Field Application Engineer, you’ll provide technical service, customer support, and technical account management for Symbio Robotics software applications within automotive manufacturing onsite at our customer locations.
The ideal candidate is an experienced individual who has deployed and supported applications on automotive manufacturing lines. You love learning the customer's automation challenges, understanding their needs and figuring out the best path to mutual success. In addition, you are passionate about the potential for Robotics Automation to transform manufacturing. You are not just an executor - you are a builder who focuses on customer needs and satisfaction to ultimately strengthen business relationships.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Your Day to Day
You will partner with the Application Engineering team to deploy, troubleshoot, and support software applications onsite at automotive manufacturing facilities.
Oversee the proof of concept through production launch of new workcells and ensure a successful conclusion. Provide engineering support, such as deploying bug patches.
Be the technical subject matter expert and train customers on SymbioDCS, including manufacturing processes, robotics applications, and factory automation environment.
Build strategic relationships across Symbio’s internal teams to provide insightful customer feedback and critical input to Symbio’s product vision and roadmap.
In addition, you will partner with sales and business development on new opportunities by providing technical expertise, conducting discovery sessions and coordinating with internal engineering teams.
Specific activities include
Trial, Production Support, and Deployment Activities
- Start / stop production trials
- Recover robot faults
- Run calibration routines
- Configure motion controller and FTS
- Test out new camera calibration with remote engineering help
- Hardware project management (order parts, coordinate with SI)
- Install EOAT and install cable management
- Application provisioning (update docker-compose files, create entry points, customize state machines)
- Troubleshoot poor performance or inoperative cell
- Ascertain root cause by inspecting logs or using Kibana
- Plot data with Jupyter notebook
- Navigate state machine code
- Program and teach day to day operations & maintenance functions to operators
- Train maintenance operators on advanced troubleshooting and configuration
- Teach safe and fast sequences on both pedestal and RTU mounted robot
Documentation & Application Administration (Symbio will train you on the software; we’re looking for someone who is motivated to learn)
- Keep logs of failures, their symptoms, and causes if possible
- Update work instructions and troubleshooting guide
- Write status reports for customer
- Git administration (pull latest code, push config changes to origin)
- Docker administration
Flexibility and willingness to travel up to 75% to meet at customer sites and work with the team at our corporate HQ in Emeryville, CA
Chief Engineer & Manager of Applications
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- Computer proficiency across different operating systems and applications
- Ability to install software patches/updates
- Motivated to learn new software applications
- Great communicator with strong verbal and written skills
- Able to work independently to provide workable solutions at customer sites
Minimum Education & Experience
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience outside of internships and school
- Knowledge of automation applications, robotic applications or machine vision
- PLC Programming experience
- Experience coding in C, C++, Python, or Java
- Knowledge of automotive manufacturing processes and automation in Final Assembly or Transmission
- Exposure to enterprise software / Linux OS / client-server software (localized applications not just web-based applications)
The role will be based at Symbio Headquarters in Emeryville, California. This individual will work with and support our customers at locations in the Midwest, Texas, and Southeast.
Symbio Robotics builds software that make industrial robots capable of responding to the process and product variation that today require human intervention. Using machine learning, edge computing and computer vision we provide robots with the brains to be easier to commission, more versatile and robust. Today our customers are global automotive OEMs and tier 1 suppliers. As we grow, we will add additional manufacturing markets such as Electronics and others.
Are you curious about Symbio's Key Values? We have spent time thinking about this and we are excited to share ours here.
Symbio Robotics is dedicated to building a diverse team that is as complex and creative as the solutions we engineer for industrial automation applications. We are actively committed to engaging all voices and experiences in building the future of automation.
To submit an application please use this linkBack to All Careers