Software Development Engineer
Posted on 03/03/2021
Auburn Hills, MI
Who is Shape?
SHAPE is a strategic combination of companies including H20 Jet, Flow International, KMT Waterjet, AquaDyne, Advanced Pressure Systems (APS), Aquarese, TOPS Waterjet; Shape Mined Material; and Shape Process Automation. Collectively, we provide an extensive portfolio of manufacturing process solutions to customers around the world. The core technology of SHAPE was founded in high pressure waterjet cutting, cleaning, and surface preparation.
We work together to develop intellectual properties that drive progress and raise the bar in service excellence, we set the standard for integrity, professionalism, and inclusiveness to meet the challenges of rapidly evolving industries. Tomorrow’s customers will require more innovative solutions, we continue to push the envelope in developing the advanced technologies and digital tools to solve manufacturing challenges at the pace and scale of the markets we serve.
Who are we looking for?
As SHAPE continues to develop into exciting new markets, we welcome like-minded professionals who share our excitement and optimism for the future. Operating across multiple disciplines, we have ample opportunity for you to grow your career in our organization.
Shape believes their success lies in the talented people that work in their organization! Our philosophy is of community and a place where people can belong, thrive and succeed! We pride ourselves on being cultural champions of our brand and values.
What sets Shape apart from other companies?
SHAPE is invested in providing constant learning and development opportunities and offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits packages. We are a multinational, highly technical and innovative company that provides global career opportunities. We seek creative ways to continuously improve. Collaboration and teamwork defines the way we work. We are always looking for team members that want to be ahead of the curve, using latest technologies to apply in every way we do business. Our employees are dynamic, highly talented and enjoy working in a fast-paced work environment.
We encourage you to look into employment opportunities at Shape Technologies Group. Let’s build something together. Check out our website at www.shapetechnologies.com
The Software Development Engineer will be the dedicated support engineer for the Software Engineering and Development team. As a member of the Software and Development team you will be mainly tasked with the creation, installation and the debugging of machine software. Beside working on machine software, you may be asked to work on the development of new technologies and the streamlining of processes.
Along with the team members at Shape Process Automation you will have the shared responsibilities to the company for the commercial success of the projects you are involved with. Using your knowledge of industrial machine control systems, you will have the responsibility to advise the Project Manager about any potential cost overruns or savings that you become aware of.
This position requires a person with the ability to program a variety of PLCs, HMIs, such as Allen Bradley, Siemens and Omron. This position requires a person with extensive knowledge of Fanuc Robotics’ Karel language and Fanuc robot setup and programming knowledge.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design, Install, test and commission of automation instrumentation and control systems.
- The programming and combination of various automation technologies into highly integrated systems that utilize robots, vision systems, PLCs, HMIs, etc.
- The design and development of database and interface applications that integrate our machine control systems with our customer’s production and data management systems.
- Prepare technical documents and design specifications for control systems and installations.
- Write reports, user/operator manuals and procedures
- Work in collaboration with Electrical Designers and Mechanical Engineers for all projects.
- Perform robot setup for process specific applications.
- Work within project defined schedule and budget estimates.
- Involvement in controls, programming, motion, communication systems, electrical design, vision systems and robotic integration.
- Attend project review meetings.
- Represent Shape Process Automation in a professional and mature manner.
- Travel to commission and support systems at customer facilities.
- Travel may range from 10% - 50% annually. Travel does vary per team member.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- Elevated computer skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Solid knowledge with
- PLC’s (Allen Bradley, Studio5000 and RS Logix 500)
- Familiarity with Siemens, Omron and Mitsubishi.
- HMI’s (Red Lion, Crimson and Allen Bradley, FactoryTalk View)
- Familiarity with Siemens, Omron and Proface.
- Robot Programming (Fanuc Karel and Teach Pendant Logic)
- Willingness to travel for extended periods of time.
- Self-motivated and driven to meet challenging goals.
- Ability to interface well with customer personnel at various levels.
- Ability to work alone as well as part of a team.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Maintain composure under stress.
- Ability and willingness to take directions.
- To be canny when considering solutions.
Minimum Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Robotics, Software Development or equivalent experience.
- If degreed must have at least 3 years of relevant industry experience. If not degreed in associated disciplines the candidate must have at least 8 years of relevant industry experience.
- Must have valid passport and driver’s license