Staff Software Engineer, Vision
Posted on 07/02/2022
Alert Innovation is a fast-growing company on a mission to reinvent retailing through robotics. A diverse, driven, and creative team of professionals, we work daily to design systems that are changing the world of customer fulfillment. We’ve partnered with the world’s largest retailer to develop our Alphabot® technology, which is currently being deployed at stores throughout North America.
We’re seeking a Staff Software Engineer to play a key role in developing Alert’s growing portfolio of robotic products. You will be responsible for contributing to a library of hardware support drivers and driving advanced functionality of new products. As part of the growing Vision Systems team, you will have the opportunity to grow your own skills through prototyping novel systems as well as directly contributing to business-critical software. You will have the authority to determine how your career unfolds as well as how your skills are leveraged and expanded.
We want candidates who enjoy collaboration with others—the best work isn’t done in a vacuum, so everyone at Alert contributes to defining our most challenging problems and solution approach. Our teams move fast, so you’ll need to be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
Our work is challenging, fun, and rewarding. We seek to hire people who want work to be meaningful and strive for excellence in a team-oriented culture.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
What you’ll work on:
- Implement, debug, and integrate robust embedded C++ applications to deliver key capabilities to Alert’s growing portfolio of robotic products.
- Help develop a library of advanced features to share among multiple product lines.
- Identify key opportunities for improvement across all of Alert’s products.
- Create prototypes and ultimately turn them into fully-realized products.
- Implement low-level hardware drivers for use by many applications.
- Work with the electrical, mechanical, systems, and safety teams to document and detail software requirements and perform component selection.
- Develop modular, well-documented code.
- Create software acceptance tests.
- Assist with user manuals and software documentation.
- Play an active role in group discussions to share and gain knowledge.
- Investigate, assess, and implement new technologies.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
What we’re looking for:
- An inherent drive to better own knowledge and willingness to both learn from and share knowledge with peers.
- Strong understanding of Internet communications protocols.
- Understanding of multi-threaded software architecture, socket communications and related concepts.
- Familiarity with software configuration management, defect tracking, and peer review methodologies.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Capable power-user of Linux systems.
- Understanding of robotics concepts (sensors, actuators, controls, etc.) and concerns (constrained size weight and power, real time execution, etc.) a strong plus.
- Strong skills operating in a primarily Linux-based environment.
- Experience with Atlassian software management suite (JIRA, Confluence) preferred.
- Comfortable working in an agile, collaborative team environment.
Minimum Education & Experience
- 6+ years writing software in C++ (modern C++ strongly preferred).
- 3+ years writing software for embedded systems.
- 12+ year’s experience in a software engineering capacity in robotics or 8+ year’s experience with B.S. in Computer Science, Robotics, Computer Engineering, or related
What we offer:
- Highly competitive pay for the Boston market in which we’re based
- Great benefits — medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, 4% 401K match, flexible spending accounts, HRA’s, and up to 12 weeks of parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off — we encourage Alertians to take time off to re-energize and we trust our team to make choices that work for them and their team
- Company-wide holidays — we take time off as a company and recognize nine holidays throughout the year
- Equity — every full-time employee receives stock options, because you should have an ownership stake in what you build
- Learning & Development — we’ll reimburse tuition and learning opportunities both on and off the job
- Flexible Work Schedules — we offer a flexible work environment inclusive of remote and hybrid work schedules based on team requirements
- Employee Assistance Program — to assist with your emotional health, parenting, eldercare, nutrition, legal, and financial consultation needs
- Food and Fuel — we have the best coffee in the Boston area and it’s roasted by our founder! Lunch is provided daily for our team in the office and our kitchens are fully stocked with snacks and beverages
For more information, visit https://www.alertinnovation.com/boston-robotics-jobs/Back to All Careers