New Product Development Engineer
Posted on 06/07/2022
Red Wing, MN, US
DESTACO, a Dover Company, is a global leader in the design and manufacture of high-performance automation, workholding, and remote handling solutions. The company serves customers in variety of end-markets, including the automotive, life sciences, consumer goods, packaging, aerospace, and nuclear sectors.
Built on a legacy of over 100 years, DESTACO offers a comprehensive portfolio of products to engineer precise movement, placement and control solutions that drive productivity and uptime for manufacturers around the world. The DESTACO family of products consists of industry-leading brands such as DESTACO Manual and Power Clamps, Camco and Ferguson Indexers, Robohand Grippers and CRL Manipulators and Transfer Ports.
Central Research Laboratories, is a global leader in the design and manufacture of remote handling solutions for the Nuclear and Life Science industries. Founded in Red Wing, Minnesota in 1945, CRL leverages decades of innovative industry experience to design and manufacture high precision, customized solutions for various Nuclear and Life Science applications.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
The New Product Development Engineer – Will have a life science focus and is responsible for designing new products, improving existing products, and customizing products to meet specific customer needs. Products range consists of mechanical design of remote handling products for the Life Sciences market. He/she will conduct new product Ideation, design and development of identified remote handling product extensions and enhancements using various engineering processes. He/she will control the scope, schedule, and budget for identified projects, and identify and control risks. He/she will be responsible for completing all aspects of product design, development, and modification for products including research and design, creation of drawings and models, testing, documenting, reporting and support. He/she will work within and communicate across various functional teams within Destaco that will enable the successful development, launch, and support of products.
The New Product Development Engineer – Reports to the Engineering Manager, Remote Handling. The position is located in Red Wing, MN. Travel up to 15% international and US is required. The position requires the ability to work and communicate globally with diverse Sales, Applications Engineering, Customer Service, and Marketing teams worldwide.
Key Job Responsibilities included but not limited:
- Leads new product ideation, development, and design, utilizing Voice of the Customer (VOC).
- Designs and develops identified remote handling product extensions and enhancements, specifically rapid transfer ports, sterile liquid transfer ports, single use containers/bags, glove boxes, and tele-manipulators.
- Researches, collects and reports information on the ability and capacity of products and competing equipment (competitive analysis).
- Controls scope, schedule, budget, risks and communication on identified projects.
- Creates 3D assembly models, manufacturing drawings, and bills of materials, and generates CAD files, catalog art work, text and specifications. Assist with trade show demos.
- Provides equipment functionality and capability reports to the sales force, and acts as technical liaison to the sales team.
- Develops and conducts product validations based off of industry standards.
- Coordinates with Applications Engineering in resolving quality and production issues. Provides technical support to customers, inside/outside sales, and customer service. May evaluate products, parts, or processes for cost efficiency and reliability.
- Participate in regular Business Development reviews and reports.
- Coordinate, assign project tasks and follow up with internal and external resources per the product development checklists. May lead and direct the work of others.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
Leadership Competencies aligned with Dover and executed in DESTACO with appropriate expectations for the job level:
- Strategic Mindset: Has understanding of global industry or market; creates breakthrough strategies that alter the competitive dynamics in a market, and establishes a series of competitive advantages yielding profitability that exceeds expectations for the organization.
- Customer Impact: Creates value for customers addressing known and unknown needs. Knows and understands all aspects of the global market, including: economics, products and services, channels, the customers and their end-markets.
- Change Leadership: Aligns an organization and its people to drive for improvement and adopt new, challenging directions. Energizes a whole organization to want to change in the same directions. Influences others in a mature and empowering manner.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Results and very detail oriented, solution driven with project deadlines in mind
- High energy, strong interpersonal skills, prefers to work in team entrepreneurial environment
- Passion for hands-on involvement with strong initiative and exceed project goals
- Analytical thinker, ability to make decisions and problem solve based on data
- Adapts to customer and market trend changes with desire to learn new technology and methods
- Good communication skills including facilitating meetings, verbal, and written skills
- Ability to work in multi-cultural virtual teams maintaining significant involvement and team interaction
- Able to execute tasks independently with daily or weekly direction from manager
Minimum Education & Experience
- Requires 4-8 years of experience in the mechanical design field or in a related area. Experience in the life sciences market a plus.
- Requires working knowledge of Solidworks design software both 2-D and 3-D (or equivalent) and geometric dimensioning and part tolerances.
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures within the engineering field such as: APQP, FMEA, FEA, R&M, and 8D problem solving.
- Experience with administrating and executing project-related testing and documentation such as: Product Specification, FEA, DFMEA, DVP&R, DFM, Process Flow Diagrams, PFMEA, Product Run Trials, etc.
- Experience in the mechanical design of molded plastic and rubber components. Experience with single use sterile packaging, and leak tight door/port systems is a plus.
- Experience with clean room manufacturing processes and assembly operations.
- Knowledge of material, process, and quality requirements for the life science market.
- Regulated environments
- ISO 9001 or FDA preferred
- ISO 13485 accepted
- ASME NQA-1 accepted
- Nuclear laboratory, radio-pharmaceutical and containment applications
Education and Certification Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering required.
- Ability to travel 20% of the time.