Electrical Applications Engineer
Posted on 06/07/2022
Auburn Hills, MI, US, Wheeling, IL, US
DESTACO, a Dover Company, is a global leader in the design and manufacture of high-performance automation, workholding, and remote handling solutions. The company serves customers in variety of end-markets, including the automotive, life sciences, consumer goods, packaging, aerospace, and nuclear sectors.
Built on a legacy of over 100 years, DESTACO offers a comprehensive portfolio of products to engineer precise movement, placement and control solutions that drive productivity and uptime for manufacturers around the world. The DESTACO family of products consists of industry-leading brands such as DESTACO Manual and Power Clamps, Camco and Ferguson Indexers, Robohand Grippers and CRL Manipulators and Transfer Ports.
DESTACO is headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan, and operates globally through ~800 employees across 14 locations.
Dover is a diversified global manufacturer with annual revenues of $8 billion. The company delivers innovative equipment and components, specialty systems, and support services through five major operating segments: Engineered Products, Clean Energy & Fueling, Imaging & Identification, Pumps & Process Solutions, and Climate & Sustainability Technologies. Headquartered in Downers Grove, Illinois, Dover trades on the New York Stock Exchange under “DOV.”
Major Duties & Responsibilities
The Electrical Applications Engineer is responsible for customer support in set-up and commissioning by supplying product field support of existing, but not limited to, electrical products related to clamping and indexers. With additional responsibilities for improving existing products in order to meet stated project goals and product specifications by customers. Product responsibilities consist primarily of mechanical and servo-based clamping, rotary indexer and conveyor components. He/she will be responsible for following the application sizing of servo drive systems, the electrical design, creation of customer electrical specification drawings, testing, documenting, and reporting within a team environment. He/she will identify and control design risks, will work with team to obtain priorities and meet project timelines. He/she will communicate with customers, vendors and other application and manufacturing engineers. Would work with global procurement teams if alternative suppliers are to be identified for special or newly designed parts. He/she will work within and communicate across various functional teams within DESTACO that will enable the successful support on electrical applications for engineered products.
The Applications Engineer reports to the Engineering Director for North America. The position is located in either Auburn Hills MI or Wheeling, IL. The position requires the ability to work and communicate globally and virtually with vendors, product managers, applications engineering, marketing, manufacturing support teams. Travel up to 20% to facilities in the U.S. may be required.
Key Job Responsibilities included but not limited to:
- Provide electrical design and application expertise and assist in the development of product extensions and enhancements, relating to linear, rotary, parallel motion products such as servo driven indexers, grippers, pick and place, robotic tools, conveying equipment and clamping products.
- Provide electrical manufacturing drawings, bills of materials, generates CAD files, work with marketing on catalog artwork, text and specifications, where applicable
- Works with Applications Engineering and Sales teams in resolving electrical product quality and production issues.
- May evaluate and conduct lab evaluations of products, parts, or processes for cost efficiency and reliability.
- Execute testing of new products and obtains agency approvals where needed.
- Track and record design changes following ECN processes.
- Communicate with vendors and global teams to facilitate and resolve project issues.
- Generate documentation needs and requirements.
- Meets application project schedule and objectives.
- Assist product development teams is setting up lab environment PLC’s and HMI’s, including procurement, set-up and programming
Leadership Competencies aligned with Dover and executed in DESTACO with appropriate expectations for the job level:
- Customer Impact: Creates value for customers addressing known and unknown needs. Knows and understands all aspects of the global market, including economics, products and services, channels, the customers and their end-markets.
- Results-Driven: Produces results that exceed Dover’s strategic objectives via a combination of planning and implementation, while living the Dover Values.
- Builds and Manages Collaborative Relationships: Establishes and nurtures relationships. Takes action to partner with the communities in which we operate and to be an appropriate corporate citizen.
- Ability to read industrial electrical schematics for the controls system including power wiring, control wiring and I/O wiring and interconnect diagrams.
- Should be well versed in electrical controls design and applications support on with work holding, gripping, indexers, conveyors etc.
- Must include experience involving use of Material handling precision products, including torque equipment, and precision positioning for both linear and rotary products.
- Create and manage part and assembly drawings, Bill of Materials (BOMs) to support manufacturing, testing and assembly, and support components to assist with assembly.
- Select and size components to be used in the motion control systems in a cost-effective manner.
- Selection of appropriate servo motor, drives, AC drives, PLC, HMI's and general industrial motion control components for customer applications.
- Experience working with Ethernet based Industrial network protocol such as ModBus TCP, EtherCAT, EtherNet/IP, Profinet. Profibus experience is preferred.
- Experience in Installing and troubleshooting of motion control mechanisms including controls, servo drives, motors and PLCs.
- Experience with Rockwell /Allen-Bradley is preferred and experience with Control Techniques and Mitsubishi is a plus
- Familiarity with problem solving processes, 8D, Non-Conformance reporting with ability to evaluate and approve deviation requests
- Work closely with sales community to identify opportunities, increase electrical servo-based solutions for DESTACO products.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Results and very detail oriented, solutions driven with project deadlines in mind.
- High energy, strong interpersonal skills, prefers to work in team entrepreneurial environment.
- Passion for hands-on involvement with co-workers and customer with strong initiative to exceed project goals.
- Analytical thinker, ability to make decisions and problem solve based on data.
- Adapts to customer and market trend changes with desire to learn new technology and methods
- Good communication skills including facilitating meetings, verbal, and written skills
- Ability to work in multi-cultural virtual teams maintaining significant involvement and team interaction.
- Able to execute tasks independently with daily or weekly direction from manager.
Minimum Education & Experience
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum 5 years of related technical experience in commissioning HMI, PLC, VFD and Servo products
- Configuration/Programming/Installation of motion controllers’ with an emphasis on hands on field experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to effectively interact with all levels of our organization.
- Attention to detail; ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-disciplined with a high sense of urgency to be a collaborative business partner.
- Ability to work with various teams as well as independently.
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Competent in the use of PLC, HMI, VFD and Servo programming software.
- CAD skills (2D AutoCAD) - Preferred
- Some customers may prefer to interact with you as an engineer. Strong communication skills are required because you represent DESTACO every time you meet or speak with our customers. Professional attitude and the ability to represent our company with integrity.
Education and Certification Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering required.
- Ability to travel domestically 20% of the time.