Regional Sales Engineer
Posted on 10/06/2021
San Jose, CA
The Regional Sales Engineer works within an assigned territory and is the primary person responsible for business development and support of existing customers. The Sales Engineer identifies customer needs and works with the customer to select Harmonic Drive products with features or options that provide optimal solutions.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides technical assistance and application guidance to customer’s engineering personnel to establish new business and maintain existing business.
- Develops and maintains customer commercial relationships. Represents the customer voice as needed to ensure customer satisfaction with RMA's, deliveries, pricing, product warranties, etc.
- Addresses customer related concerns through activities such as purchase order reviews, pricing analysis, RMA handling, and expediting deliveries.
- Maintains records in company CRM (Customer Relationship Manager) for all accounts in territory and inputs information including: visits and communications, contact information, opportunity tracking, application data, technical requirements, products used or being considered, competition activities, customer feedback, etc.
- Interacts with customer and factory personnel through various forms of communication including customer visits, emails, video calls, and phone calls.
- Prepares sales forecast twice per year
- Delivers technical presentations and quotations
- Maintains list of target accounts and focuses activity to generate new business
- Performs research and follow-up on leads generated from advertising, trade shows, web, etc.
- Participates in internal sales meetings, trade shows, and conferences.
- Business Development - Research & investigate opportunities for the company in targeted market(s).
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- Sales Skills, persuasion, and tactfulness
- Technical: Sizing calculations and selection of gearing, motors, and bearings
- Knowledge about market segments like robotics, semiconductor, and medical equipment.
- In depth understanding of products and suppliers in the motion control market
- Knowledge of competitors’ strengths and weaknesses
- Working knowledge of ERP software especially key functions related to sales
- Working knowledge of CRM including opportunities, activities, quotations, and forecasting
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
Minimum Education & Experience
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Electrical, or Mechatronics engineering.
- 3 to 5 years of sales or application engineering or related field experience with a preferred emphasis on motion control.