Business Development Manager
Bison Gear & Engineering Corp.
Posted on 01/26/2023
St. Charles, IL 60174
The Business Development Manager position at Bison plays a key role in our Go-to-Market team. BDM’s are considered the industry experts of their assigned vertical markets, and are responsible to keep the team updated on the latest industry trends and activities within those markets.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Vertical Market Expert: Responsible to know and understand customer needs within assigned markets. Identify and attend vertical market association meetings and trade shows. Follow market communication channels to keep up-to-date on current events. Collaborate with sales team to build knowledge regarding competitor product offerings and pricing. Understand the competitive landscape and assess competitors’ relative positions.
- Product Pricing: With cost positions determined by Engineering, set price for customer quotations while keeping Bison’s strategy for the market segment and margin requirements aligned. Implement customer wide price actions when necessary. Improve margins in vertical segments while growing the top line within each segment.
- Strategy Development: Participate annually in Bison’s Strategic Planning. Contribute market input for consideration regarding Bison’s strategy and direction. Develop strategy for each vertical market segment and initial objectives for Marketing and Sales for deployment.
- Sales Support: Bison’s Go-To-Market Sales team has a combination of direct and indirect associates. Provide inside sales support for the various sales groups in order to protect existing accounts and grow/add new accounts. In some accounts, provide direct customer support as required and/or directed by management.
- Sales Leads: review all leads generated by marketing and sales and filter through them to ensure Sales focuses on the leads that fit within our strategic plan. Follow up with Sales as required to insure closure.
- Sales Funnel: When leads are converted to opportunities through quotes and prototypes, they are active within our Sales Funnel. Using CRM tools, update Funnel information weekly and provide input for monthly Sales Funnel meetings.
- Product Management: Support Bison’s New Product Development Process. Participate in Bison’s Gate Process as directed by management. Propose new products for consideration in meeting vertical market strategy. Coordinate competitive tear-downs of products currently supplied by competitors to target customers with Engineering. Travel to target and current accounts to obtain Voice-of-the-Customer information. Develop product plans for new products.
- Sales Training: Provide training about vertical markets to field sales as requested.
- Effectively interface across all levels of the organization within Bison. Be comfortable interacting with all levels at customers.
Travel Requirements: Must be able and willing to travel as needed to accomplish the Duties and Responsibilities. Expected travel up to 25% of time.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Lead, coach and groom subordinates for increased responsibility. Lead an innovative, customer focused and continuous improvement culture.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Education & Experience
Education and Experience:
- BS in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Business, or equivalent.
- 5+ years experience working with product marketing, marketing analysis and/or sales teams.
- Experience working within the Power Transmission or Automation sectors desired.
- Experience leading and developing direct reports is a plus.
- PC experience including Microsoft Office products and CRM software.
- Good organizational skills.
- Be a self-starter, and follow through on projects.
- Ability to handle multiple projects in short time frames.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of customers, suppliers and associates across all levels of the organization.
- Regular and reliable level of attendance.