Controls Engineering Director
Posted on 08/08/2023
Wauseon Machine is seeking a seasoned leader to join our growing Automation Division as the Controls Engineering Director. This is an indirect position focused on setting the direction and standards for our Electrical Design and Controls Engineering department.
The department consists of approximately 20 engineers—including an Electrical Engineering Manager and Controls Engineering Manager—who perform electrical hardware design, PLC and HMI programming, and robot programming for custom automation and robotic systems.
- Oversee, represent, and take accountability for the Electrical Engineering and Controls Engineering departments.
- Drive departmental resource planning, KPIs, goals, standards, technology initiatives, and electrical project labor and material budgets.
- Mentor and coach subordinates from concept through final acceptance.
- Full accountability for project execution performance metrics of hardware and software designs (i.e., schedule, budget, scope, risk, and customer satisfaction).
- Set the departments’ standards and direction for concept and final design, safety assessments, bill of material, release, final documentation, etc.
- Oversee fluid power (hydraulic/pneumatic) design, peripheral device programming, machine interface programming, and machine validation with build teams.
- Provide leadership and guidance for both internal & external electrical concept and final design reviews.
- Travel to customer sites to support sales/applications as a representative for the Automation Division.
- Travel to suppliers/tradeshows for technology initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- 15 years’ experience in custom automation hardware and software design including project management and supervisory responsibility.
- Proficiency in Allen Bradley and Omron PLC programming platforms. (Mitsubishi and Siemens a plus.)
- Prior experience with: PLC & HMI programming, safety circuits, vision systems, lasers, conveyor systems, assembly systems, fluid power, robot programming, and robot systems integration.
- Industrial Networking experience: Ethernet/IP, Control Net, Device Net, etc.
- Electrical schematic design experience using AutoCAD Electrical.
- History of leadership and mentoring resulting in meeting or exceeding individual and department performance goals/objectives.
- Willingness to travel up to 10%.
Desired Soft Skills:
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Exceptional verbal/written communication skills.
- Ability to positively collaborate with other department leaders, program managers, and customers to ensure project/team success.
Our Automation Division designs and builds custom automation and robotic systems for the medical, automotive, consumable, and consumer goods manufacturing industries. These systems include, but are not limited to, assembly, dispensing, machine tending, material handling, and palletizing.
These diverse capabilities, alongside our Precision Machining and Tube Forming Technology Divisions, have provided a 40-year track record of success and continued growth for our company.Back to All Careers