Posted on 06/18/2021
Redmond, WA and Novi, MI
As display and illumination technologies evolve, so must our imaging systems. Your work as an Optical Engineer will keep Radiant on the cutting edge of consumer electronic display and light inspection and serve our customers for their current and future production, metrology, and research development needs.
In this role you will help design and deploy the next generation of optical imaging solutions for Radiant’s various measurement products. This will involve sharing knowledge with our prestigious base of customers and vendors through remote and on-site communication with occasional travel to both domestic and international destinations. You will be incorporated into specifications and designs supported by yourself, along with the development and engineering teams.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Research and develop emerging concepts in imaging systems and optical systems in support of R&D roadmap.
- Contribute to the development, planning, specification, creation, and documentation of new optical systems and measurement products utilizing our light and color measurement systems with a focus on image processing.
- Model and prototype critical technologies to drive system performance and validation through development of test methodologies for optical components, systems evaluation and integration.
- Utilize Zemax and other optical design and analysis tools to tailor designs for vendor review.
- Interact with customers to gain feedback and specify requirements for custom services, using a multidisciplinary approach on optical designs and systems to meet requirements.
- Educate customers and international distributors on proper use of CCD-based hardware and software systems for light and color measurement.
- Work closely with vendors to troubleshoot and improve manufacturing readiness of optical solutions.
- Manage relationships with vendors through effective communication and interactions to ensure expectations are met.
- Maintain and update product functional specifications.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- Applied research and/or product development of optics or photonic metrology systems with one or more of the following optics technologies: illumination, radiometry/photometry, stray light analysis, physical optics, or imaging.
- Laboratory work setting up optical systems and experience with methods and tools for fabrication of optics systems.
- Optical tools and methods such as Zemax.
- Experience in control/manufacturing engineering, image processing, the practical and theoretical aspects of light and color measurement, various scientific modeling software, elementary electrical engineering principles, as well as software control of scientific hardware.
- Proficiency in ZEMAX required, experience with MATLAB is a plus.
- Ability to write and evaluate specifications, assist customers with proper OQC setup, and work with internal team to do IQC for optical systems.
- Experience in computer programming for scientific applications in C# and/or VB.NET.
- Ability and desire to work in a collaborative environment and fast-growing R&D team.
- Experience solving complex technical problems through collaboration with multidiscipline teams to meet the desired specifications of customers.
- Experience working with minimal direction and managing a project independently from start to finish.
- Familiarity with various image sensor technologies (i.e.: CCD, CMOS, Thermal Imagers, etc.).
- Strong mathematical, problem solving, troubleshooting and organizational skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate with internal customers, end users and our global distributor network effectively and succinctly.
- Ability to perform engineering analysis and design to develop solutions in a team environment and provide technical consulting services to customers in real-time.
- Innovative and self-motivated with a “can-do” attitude.
- International & domestic travel generally up to approximately 25% of the time.
Minimum Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Optical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical discipline (i.e. Math, Engineering, Computer Science).
- 5+ years’ experience in Optical Design and/or Optical Engineering or related field.