Application Engineering Supervisor
Posted on 05/02/2022
The Application Engineering Supervisor plays an integral role in improving, expanding, and maintaining our service operations to elevate customer experience with existing and new systems. You will be responsible for providing leadership to increase support satisfaction among customers and use your expertise to lead and direct the technical support team members to support customer initiatives and measure their performance regularly.
This position is comprised of a variety of elements Mentorship, Operations, Pre-sales, and Post-sales activities. Mentorship of new employees both within the onboarding process, and career progression is essential to this position. This position works closely with other departments, particularly in Engineering, Production, Sales, and Marketing to not only address customer requests, but to work to improve processes and workflows to improve customer satisfaction. Coordinating pre-sales proof-of-concept projects, on-site visits with Sales representatives, and other pre-sales tasks are essential. Running team meetings to help organize and prioritize emails, RMAs, training events, projects, and other tasks are essential. Overall increasing efficiency of the Technical Support Team across the organization is the overall responsibility of this role.
This role is crucial to coordinating both pre-sales and post-sales activities with an emphasis on prioritization and ensuring gaps of knowledge within the team are minimized. You will work with the Solutions Engineering Manager on the responsibilities mentioned above, with an emphasis on operations and team development, engagement, and mentorship to grow the expertise and scope of this fast-paced team.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure superior technical support. Review the customer emails with the team. Oversee the resolution of problems and escalation to various teams within the organization as needed for timely solutions.
- Provide leadership through effective goal setting, delegation, and communication.
- Ensure the team is well informed of policies and procedures. Discuss service areas needing improvement.
- Through coaching and engagement initiatives, provide suggestions for improved performance.
- Help hire new talent to the Technical Support Team.
- Train, direct, and coordinate the team of support and solutions specialists, providing help and support as needed. Plan training events with our Sales team, and effectively choose the correct, experienced, member of the team to fulfill this task.
- Ensure ongoing training for tech support staff; advise tech support staff on career planning; maintain and analyze training records.
- Respond to technical inquiries via phone and email, working across other teams to obtain additional information or support, and manage customer expectations.
- Regularly analyze and review pre-sales projects and post-sales cases to determine relative priority. Ability to anticipate issues and ensure proper resources are allocated to ensure timely solutions are made.
- Prepare reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information within our own, internal, systems (CRM as example).
- Working across our Engineering department to develop alternative technical solutions, creating Engineering Requirement Specifications with the team to quote our cost and time estimates to our customers for custom Engineering work.
- Provide feedback to other departments including sales, marketing, and product development to upgrade products and prevent reoccurrence of problems.
- Ensure sales leads and customer needs are appropriately referred and followed up. Provide technical sales support as needed.
- Ensure customers are appropriately educated about Company products. Develop and present technical training as required.
- Keep management informed of area activities and of any significant concerns.
- Lead of RMAs to ensure the reduction of RMAs that meet Radiant’s criteria
- Demonstrate a positive approach to work, represent Radiant in a professional manner at all times while adhering to all Company and area policies, display confidence and professionalism even during times of stress and in difficult situations.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- Highly organized with an ability to efficiently handle numerous projects simultaneously.
- Ability to quickly identify problems and implement solutions in real-time.
- Ability to lead projects from inception to completion.
- Confidence in leading meetings.
- Ability to communicate with various teams effectively and succinctly within the organization, summarize needs, come up with action items, plan for implementation of new processes that meets all demands and ensures completion of these ideas.
- Ability to train and supervise others. Service orientation and sincere willingness to assist others.
- Collaborative mindset that identifies, leverages, and recognizes the contribution from each team member, regardless of organizational structure.
- Strong sense of urgency, can-do attitude, and motivational skills to work in a fast-paced environment as part of a hard-working and multidisciplinary team.
- Experience with presenting technical information to a wide range of audiences with a confident presence.
- An outgoing personality with a passion for improving processes and fostering professional development of internal members.
Minimum Education & Experience
- B.S. in Physics, Materials Science, or related field.
- Minimum of 4 years in related field, with at least 1 year of supervisory and or lead experience.
- Experience in technical sales or sales support.