Design Engineer Lead
Posted on 10/05/2021
East Peoria, IL, USA
The Design Engineer Lead designs and develops engineering solutions for our customers' material handling equipment. This role is focused on the project management of the engineering team and their interactions throughout the rest of the organization.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides guidance and technical assistance to design team
- Reviews all designs prior to passing folders to processing
- Understands key engineering standards, policies, & procedures within department
- Provides training for new/incoming engineers
- Reviews product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, and related specifications.
- Utilizes Creo software to produce 3D models and prints.
- Utilizes advanced analytical tools to develop and validate designs.
- Processes and publishes shop prints, design changes, specifications, and drawing releases.
- Handles / Distributes Engineering Change Requests & Engineering Change Notices
- Distributes jobs and aids with employee workload and scheduling
- Provides time estimates for incoming customer projects
- Provides design guidance and offers recommendations to similar projects
- Analyzes customers' requirements and develops cost effective design solutions.
- Collaborates with the sales team to develop conceptual design prints and renderings.
- Contacts sales when necessary for design clarity/convenience
- Provides production support to the operations department.
- Ensures Engineering Escalations are handled in a timely fashion
- Attends daily project hand-off meeting with sales and operations
- Completes other jobs or duties as directed by the Engineering Manager.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- Windows PC proficiency
- Microsoft Office Suite
- PTC Creo Parametric 4.0+ preferred
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools.
- Engineering and Technology ' Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design ' Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics ' Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Active Listening ' Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times
- Speaking ' Talking to others to convey information effectively
- Coordination ' Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions
- Critical Thinking ' Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Complex Problem Solving ' Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Reading Comprehension ' Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Judgment and Decision Making ' Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Learning – Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving.
- Deductive Reasoning ' The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense
- Oral Comprehension ' The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences
- Oral Expression ' The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand
- Near Vision ' The ability to see details at close range
- Problem Sensitivity ' The ability to tell when something is wrong
- Written Comprehension ' The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing
- Speech Clarity ' The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you
- Written Expression ' The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand
- Selective Attention ' The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted
- Other Attributes
- Dependability ' Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Attention to Detail ' Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Integrity ' Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Initiative ' Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Analytical Thinking ' Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Cooperation ' Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
Minimum Education & Experience
- Education and Experience
- Associates degree in Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years engineering experience