Intermediate Vision Designer
Posted on 05/13/2021
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
As a member of a highly skilled engineering team, you will be assisting in the design and implementation of complete machine vision solutions that meet or exceed the customer’s expectations in support of the ATS Imaging group.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Vision Systems Development
- Participate in defining machine vision performance requirements in inspection and assembly systems.
- Participate in identifying high risk areas and evaluate different approaches to mitigate risks.
- Assist in the writing of Vision Requirement and Design Specifications
- Determine opto-mechanical, electrical and software interface requirements.
- Assist in the evaluation of new products in machine vision.
- Design and prototype image acquisition setup that includes industry leading lighting, optics, cameras, frame-grabbers, opto-mechanical fixtures and material handling units.
- Develop image processing algorithms using commercial or in-house vision software libraries.
- Integrate and test vision modules on inspection and assembly systems
- Work closely with overall project team as well as imaging design team to ensure provided solution meets all requirements
- Development and delivery of machine vision system documentation and training materials
Minimum Skills & Abilities
- Assist in quote preparation and ensure vision design concept meets process requirements.
- Assist in ensuring the design of the vision system maximizes the use of standard processes and modules.
- participates in design reviews with customers, vendors and internal design groups
- Assist in coordinating project activities with suppliers of third party equipment.
- Assist the project team to identify critical path and dependencies between project activities.
- Assist in identifying potentially high risk elements of the system.
- Assist with continuous machine vision design improvements on production machines.
Minimum Education & Experience
- A post-secondary degree in an Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or Physics program required
- This is a technically challenging role, requiring a good mix of theory and hands-on practice.
- Demonstrated proficiency in object oriented programming or image processing algorithms is desired
- Experience with machine vision, lasers, motion control and/or robots in system design and integration of factory automation projects is considered an asset
- Good written and oral communication skills and the ability to lead or work as part of a multi-disciplinary project team are essential.