Senior Software Engineer - Pittsburgh
Posted on 05/01/2022
Alert Innovation is a fast-growing company on a mission to reinvent retailing through robotics. A diverse, driven, and creative team of professionals, we work daily to design systems that are changing the world of customer fulfillment. We’ve partnered with the world’s largest retailer to develop our Alphabot® technology, which is currently being deployed at stores throughout North America.
Headquartered in the Boston area, we are now establishing a Pittsburgh office and are seeking Principal and Staff-level Software Engineers to be founding members of our local robotics software team. This is a great opportunity to work with a more established startup while making a huge impact on our core technology decisions. You'll work remotely with our Boston-based team while we spin up our Pittsburgh office.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
What Will You Do?
- Developing reactive microservices written in Java to handle customer orders, control and coordinate robots, control various elements of the robotics system, and maintain metrics.
- Develop and code review modular and well-documented software.
- Work with the electrical, mechanical, systems, and safety teams to detail software requirements.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
What Are We Looking For?
- 5+ years' of experience in core Java development (Java 8 or above.)
- Experience developing reactive microservices or experience developing event-driven distributed systems using asynchronous actors and messaging.
- Experience with a messaging platform (ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, Kafka or similar.)
- Experience with NoSQL databases and in-memory caches such as Redis or equivalent.
- Knowledge of robotics and/or automation a huge plus, but not required.
Minimum Education & Experience
B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, or related area preferred.
What we offer:
- Highly competitive pay for the Boston market in which we’re based
- Great benefits — medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, 4% 401K match, flexible spending accounts, HRA’s, and up to 12 weeks of parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off — we encourage Alertians to take time off to re-energize and we trust our team to make choices that work for them and their team
- Company-wide holidays — we take time off as a company and recognize nine holidays throughout the year
- Equity — every full-time employee receives stock options, because you should have an ownership stake in what you build
- Learning & Development — we’ll reimburse tuition and learning opportunities both on and off the job
- Flexible Work Schedules — we offer a flexible work environment inclusive of remote and hybrid work schedules based on team requirements
- Employee Assistance Program — to assist with your emotional health, parenting, eldercare, nutrition, legal, and financial consultation needs
- Food and Fuel — we have the best coffee in the Boston area and it’s roasted by our founder! Lunch is provided daily for our team in the office and our kitchens are fully stocked with snacks and beverages
Learn more about why we were named a 2022 Best Place to Work at alertinnovation.com/careers.Back to All Careers