Principal Software Engineer - Cloud
Posted on 05/01/2022
Alert Innovation is a fast-growing company on a mission to reinvent retailing through robotics. A diverse, driven, and creative team of professionals, we work daily to design systems that are changing the world of customer fulfillment. We’ve partnered with the world’s largest retailer to develop our Alphabot® technology, which is currently being deployed at stores throughout North America.
We’re seeking a Principal Software Engineer to play a critical role in the design and development of a state-of-the-art robotic control system for grocery supply chain automation. As a Principal Software Engineer, you will be part of a talented team of engineers focused on developing industry-changing solutions. This role will have high impact within the newly-formed cloud services team, delivering scalable solutions on a modern technology stack.
Our work is challenging, fun, and rewarding. We seek to hire people who want work to be meaningful and strive for excellence in a team-oriented culture.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
What you’ll work on:
- Architect, design and develop reactive micro-services to process customer orders, control and coordinate swarms of robots, and integrate with customer APIs.
- Evaluate, propose and validate the use of cloud services and technologies.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team (electrical, mechanical, systems, and safety) to define software requirements.
- Develop and review modular, well-documented software.
- Develop software unit-tests, integration tests, and acceptance tests.
Minimum Skills & Abilities
What we’re looking for:
- 10+ years' of experience in Core Java development (some experience w/ Java version 8 or above preferred).
- Experience developing scalable, reactive micro-services (Akka, Spring Boot or similar).
- Experience with messaging platforms (Kafka, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ or similar).
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with NoSQL databases (Cassandra, MongoDB or similar).
- Experience with cloud platforms (Azure, AWS or Google Cloud).
- Experience with unit testing (Junit, Mockito or similar).
- Experience working within an Agile environment.
- Knowledgeable in the SDLC of highly available SaaS services preferred.
Minimum Education & Experience
B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, or related area.
What we offer:
- Highly competitive pay for the Boston market in which we’re based
- Great benefits — medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, 4% 401K match, flexible spending accounts, HRA’s, and up to 12 weeks of parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off — we encourage Alertians to take time off to re-energize and we trust our team to make choices that work for them and their team
- Company-wide holidays — we take time off as a company and recognize nine holidays throughout the year
- Equity — every full-time employee receives stock options, because you should have an ownership stake in what you build
- Learning & Development — we’ll reimburse tuition and learning opportunities both on and off the job
- Flexible Work Schedules — we offer a flexible work environment inclusive of remote and hybrid work schedules based on team requirements
- Employee Assistance Program — to assist with your emotional health, parenting, eldercare, nutrition, legal, and financial consultation needs
- Food and Fuel — we have the best coffee in the Boston area and it’s roasted by our founder! Lunch is provided daily for our team in the office and our kitchens are fully stocked with snacks and beverages
Learn more about why we were named a 2022 Best Place to Work at alertinnovation.com/careers.Back to All Careers